About Me

I have a thing for new beginnings and fresh starts.

Monday, August 12, 2013

Grandma's Kitchen Stool

I completed my first recycle-refurbish project.  I hauled grandma's vintage kitchen stool out of the basement.  This is what it looked like when I began:


From this picture, I did what I am often inclined to do... take it all apart and abandon it for weeks.  

The thing was covered in rust and parrot shit. However, I am unreasonably attached to this junky chair; if grandma's parrot shat on it, then Grandma has some DNA o this chair (that bird routinely bit people).  

My guru, some chick at Home Depot, suggested to me once that if you are ever unsure about where a project is going.... step away from it for awhile.

I can do that.  I can step away like a boss. 

So, there it sat, disassembled, in my kitchen recycling bin for a lo-o-ng time while I taught Yoga, retreated from civilized society and watched an unreasonable amount of Supernatural.  

Finally, when my sloth generated sufficient amounts of self hatred, I set off for the Home Depot. 

Supplies
Steel wool
mineral spirits
spray primer 
metallic spray paint. 

When I pulled the vinyl off, it revealed nests of ants in the horsehair cushion.  Joy.  I liberated them with a garden hose and allowed the chair to dry.  

I replaced the horsehair with a 1/2 inch foam cushion and purchased some shiny new vinyl from Joann Fabrics. 

 It was unreasonably difficult not to buy a shit ton of fabric that was unnecessary to this project.  

Anyways, finally, a finished project.  The first of many.   


The result: 

I do love prettying up old junk.  Grandma would approve.  


No comments:

Blog Archive